In the afternoon my host family took me to the south side of the island to see a place called Fossil Beach. The island is very large, so it took an hour to get there. The scenery is gorgeous, much akin to Ireland, with large mountains wrapped in grass that looks like green felt, and spruce trees popping up in clusters here and there. Did I mention it rains almost every day in Kodiak? 80 inches of precipitation a year at that.Thankfully most of the time it is just drizzling. There are no ticks or spiders here though. Fossil beach is cool because there is a set of cliffs that drop fossils daily into the pools below. I found what could be some fossilized sea shells as well as this funny shaped pod. The rock faces along the beach are huge and cool to look at, but since it was raining pretty hard I didn’t bring my camera. Upon returning we had soup and played cribbage and pinochle.
Eagles are very common here. This photo is of a group of Golden and Bald Eagles that I saw at a beach. Just by looking out the window at the shipyard I can see these birds almost any time I want.

What an awesome adventure! I'm so happy you've found this wonderful opportunity to explore the world and have found great people that will offer a hand when you need it!
ReplyDelete