About Me

My photo
You can view my photos on facebook or if you don't have facebook here are the public links to my 5 albums: Album 1: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054859&id=36002857&l=5de7e7e409 Album 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055092&id=36002857&l=f80e56c756 Album 3: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055156&id=36002857&l=159ffc257e Album 4: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055524&id=36002857&l=7dd1d87e4b Album 5:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055812&id=36002857&l=537e199aae

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Baptist Church Community Picnic

Today I went to Community Baptist Church. It was fun, and I saw my favorite hiking guide there. We are planning on hiking Barometer on Tuesday and he said he’ll probably come along now. At church they announced a community picnic at Fort Abercrombie, so my friend Jess offered to give me a ride. It was raining, but when we got there the rain let up and it was beautiful. They had three musical groups playing: One was a group of local native children with banjo-type instruments and they were awesome. Next was an amazing drum band. It only got better. The final act was a folk group who played Irish-like music and was from the local Russian Orthodox Church. They also sang some local fishing songs and Russian Orthodox traditional songs, and they rocked. During this we almost adopted a kid, who came over and sat on our laps the whole time. I also met about 6 people who I have met from around the village, included a news reporter named Sam who just moved here. It was pretty sweet eating fresh salmon and watching Scottish-like local music with the ocean and mountains in the background The food was amazing. I’ve never put salmon on hot dogs before, but it wasn’t bad. After the festivities were over, one of the organizers came over and gave me a foot and a half long Coho Salmon (Silvers as they’re called) filet. She said it had been shrink-wrapped professionally, but since they had thawed it out it had to be cooked tonight. So I had salmon baked with lemon pepper, dill, and onions for supper. Jess and I cooked it after we tried to hike up Monashka Mountain. Unfortunately we missed the point where the trail split and we got lost (a little bit). We eventually found our way back, after being on a trail we didn’t want for an hour or two. But the salmon was awesome and we have two mountain hikes planned for the next two evenings, because that’s when she has to turn in her car and we find someone else to drive us around for hiking trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment