About Me

My photo
You can view my photos on facebook or if you don't have facebook here are the public links to my 5 albums: Album 1: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054859&id=36002857&l=5de7e7e409 Album 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055092&id=36002857&l=f80e56c756 Album 3: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055156&id=36002857&l=159ffc257e Album 4: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055524&id=36002857&l=7dd1d87e4b Album 5:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055812&id=36002857&l=537e199aae

Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Alaska Hiking Adventure, Part 1

Today I went at 9:30 on an Audubon sponsored hiking trip to Heitman Lake and Peak. While waiting for the guide to arrive, I met my hiking partners for the day. Katie was a 29 year old girl from Savannah, GA who was working at the hospital for a few months on travel assignment, as was Pam, a lady from work who is from North Carolina, and an older couple from Orange County was there after their fishing charter had been canceled due to bad weather. When our guide Josh arrived we headed to the trail head. There we discovered a group of about 12 children with their parents who we would be hiking with. The trail was uphill through mud, essentially just hiking through a stream. It was two miles to the lake, then we left the kids behind and several of us hiked the remaining mile and a half to the peak. It was a lovely view, even though the weather was overcast and fog was moving in on us. We saw several Sitka black deer from fairly close up, one of which I took a picture of from a distance. These deer are generally smaller than the ones we get in Ohio.















A deer hidden in the bush. My hiking group.

After the hike we headed back and I went to the Channel Side Chowder house for a bowl of seafood chowder and a cheese roll. Good stuff. Afterwards I met my hiking partners at the Kodiak Brewing Company to meet and chat with some locals. I met one man who gives ATV fishing trips and teaches you to catch salmon in the stream with a fly rod. I might call email him and set something up. I'm pretty exhausted today but I might try to go on the bigger and tougher hike to Kashevaroff Mtn tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment