About Me

My photo
You can view my photos on facebook or if you don't have facebook here are the public links to my 5 albums: Album 1: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054859&id=36002857&l=5de7e7e409 Album 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055092&id=36002857&l=f80e56c756 Album 3: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055156&id=36002857&l=159ffc257e Album 4: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055524&id=36002857&l=7dd1d87e4b Album 5:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055812&id=36002857&l=537e199aae

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Making the most of every day

My mindset on this trip has been to do something new every chance I get. Work was fun again today. I'm really enjoying this Hospital. The staff are one of a kind and John is an incredible manager. He is laid back and always respectful with how he treats the staff, but his obsession with quality assurance is amazing. Today he took an hour to take the whole pharmacy staff down to the ER room and run us through pretend codes. He gave us situations and had us rush to find the drugs, get them ready, state how we would find information. He even brought IV bags down for us to practice using the smart pumps and prime tubing. Tomorrow we are doing it again with heart attack drugs. I also was able to make the pre-chemo nausea IV for our chemo patient. I got a gold star from the nurse upstairs when I caught an intolerance to NSAIDs that wasn't noted in the chart and discontinued the patient's ibuprofen. A small thing, but it would be big if you were the patient getting sick in the hospital due to a mistake like that.

After work I rode over to Fort Abercrombie again to explore some more trails. I went on the Loop trail around Lake Gertrude and watched some sea gulls swooping around and around about 4 inches off the water. I also got passed by a lady with a loud bell on her back pack. If they scare bears away they work. I wanted to get as far away from her as possible! Then I caught the Piedmont Point trail. There were some cool bunkers on the coast. Then I went back, hiked to this ampitheater on the other side of the trail and came back on the 2nd half of the wildflower trail that I didn't finish last time. I think my favorite part about Alaska is that you can be driving on the road, and if just get out and hike a few hundred feet inland, you are in middle of the wilderness. It really doesn't take long to get somewhere exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment