Today I decided to try my luck exploring the island by myself. I walked around the high part of town to try to find the road to Pillar Mountain. It’s the mountain that goes up behind my house, and I’d like to try to hike the 2.5 miles straight up sometime when I feel ambitious enough. Unfortunately the rode was under construction today. Instead I rode around town a bit getting my bike dialed in, then rode out to Near Island to explore the backside of it.
I had a great time walking along the rocky coastline. I saw some interesting birds and plants. I also found the place where seaplanes land; they were flying in right beside me and splashing into the water.
Later in the day the sun came out for an amazing afternoon. I just had to get back outside so I rode back over to Near Island and hike the other side. I took the long trail on accident and pretty much did a loop around the whole island. The views from the edge of the trail were just breathtaking (Check them out on my Facebook page - If you don't have facebook I'm going to try to get it made public and put the link on her). Unfortunately I could not find the shorter trails and kept picking the long ones so I was out there for several hours. Suzi had warned me about what she called 'vagrant fishermen', or guys who came here to seek fortune in fish, which was not as fruitful as they hoped, so for the summer they were living in tents down by the ocean. It turns out she was telling the truth, as I happened upon one of these tents. I was too scared even to think to take a picture, so I crept away quietly.
Upon returning home we had falafel for supper. We ended the night with a game of pinochle, which I WON!!! Thanks to Pete for all those lessons. I start work tomorrow with my orientation, but I'm not too worried; the folks at Providence seem very nice.


No comments:
Post a Comment